Tuesday 2 February 2010

Target Audience Defined

Narrowing down a target audience

As climate change is a very current and global issue, the possible target audience is quite wide. I could attempt to simply target 'as many people as possible' but I would probably find that very difficult.

Around the world, the climate change impacts and effects vary greatly, to try and cover them all, and all the languages involved would be nigh impossible for a short student film. That's why I'm targeting a UK audience.

There are a few skeptics out there who have already made up their mind about climate change. Any attempt to convince them otherwise would probably be wasted, they won't listen, they will probably see anything I make propaganda. I don't want to try and convince an audience of climate change, it's commonly accepted by scientists that it is happening. I'd rather focus on those who have the potential to help out.

As for age range the audience would need to be old enough to act responsibly. They'd need to be old enough to grasp the concept and act on it. Ages 13+ should be able to do this. A wide variety of people use the Internet, and as this is my chosen and most convenient delivery method for providing the audience with information, I'll need to consider the age ranges of people who use the Internet.

I found a very useful source on Internet usage according to a variety of different factors. Looking at this, I decided upon the age range of 13-50.

I downloaded the Act on CO2 Toolkit to see the official climate change recommendations from the government. It had some useful notes on the campaign's target audiences.

Target audiences




campaign's main goals:



With all this in mind, I defined my target audience as:

  • Internet users age 13-50
  • People who are willing to help but need more information on how they can do so.
  • People who know, at least vaguely, what they should do but may need more motivation to actually do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment