Monday 9 November 2009

Baboon Re-design

Over this past week I've been modelling my characters on Maya. I made some alterations to the baboon design following last weeks tutorial. The main issues with the design based to the maquette were that the baboon's arms were too thick at the top, making him look more like a gorilla than a baboon. His face was the wrong shape for a baboon, looking more like an ant-eater with that long muzzle.

I had strayed away from the common characteristics of baboons:

Sunken eyes with a protruding brow
Big pink bum
Hairy
Skinny, long arms
Short tail

With this in mind and the comments from the tutorial I analyzed the design and began to make alterations.



I looked back to my first baboon design, which was well liked. Just paper cut-out shapes, not perfect, but still effective as a preliminary character design.




Combining these two designs and the characteristics of baboons, I altered my character design.

No comments:

Post a Comment