Friday 2 April 2010

Character References- Owner

So I wanted to give the male cat owner a certan look and posture, the type you get from having just woken up, sleepy and not quite in focus. This will give a sharp contrast with his shocked facial expression and pose when he looks out the window, allowing for plenty of exaggeration.

Simmilar to this stressed look (dad from Coraline), though not as tense and angular:



As for shape and detail I want to keep to a simplistic look, enough detail for a variety of expressions while not letting it get too realistic.

I like the look of Flint's face and hair from Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs though I'm not too keen on the shape of his body, its too thin and lacks definition. His hair is the bed-head look, uncombed and wild, just the sort of thing i'll need for my owner character, though perhaps not quite as long. I like using large eyes, they allow for clear expression and emotions. I hope to be using a full face rig for this character, allowing for a variety of expressions.





I'll need to experiment with maya hair to see if I can replicate the results without bogging my computer down too much, an alternative could be just a polygon mesh with a slight jiggle deformer.

Another reason for the simplicity is that I want to keep all meshes as low polygon as I can so that whan animating I can get as close to a realtime playback as I can. This, hopefully will improve the quality of my timing and spacing.

Something like this would be far too realistic and complicated:




No comments:

Post a Comment