Thursday 1 April 2010

Character refrences- Cat

For the design of my cat I started off by looking at recent feature animations involving cats. A lot of the CG kitties have realistic-looking fur, though, while it may look brilliant, would be resource hungry on rendering time. As I want to (hopefully) extend the animation to a mini-series on the website, I have little need for highly detailed textures that would be lost in conversion to Internet friendly resolutions.

I want my cat to look cute and perhaps a bit stupid. The slitted pupils of the Cheshire cat from Alice in wonderland make for a quite scary look. There is something about slitted cat pupils that screams feline predator, especially with the addition of teeth.



Rounded, large pupils however seem to transform the cat into a much more approachable and cute animal. Perhaps not quite as large as this though-



I like Mittens from Bolt but the head-body ratio is too off for my liking. I want to keep the proportions of the cat as realistic as I can while simplifying the component shapes.



I like the angular face of the cat from Coraline but he's a bit too slim for the look I'm after, mine will be a well fed house cat so shouldn't look like a scrawny stray.


I like the size of this cat's eyes but the slitted pupils don't make them friendly. The neck is also too thin, on most cats, the neck flows smoothly from the body to the head with very little narrowing.



These elegant paper origami sculptures manage to describe the shapes and features of a cat family without a great amount of detail at all. I really like the shape of their heads.



After watching The Secret of Kells I couldn't help but draw inspiration from the white cat Pangur Ban, with his large curious eyes and cute x shaped mouth and nose. I like the fluidity of line, how there is no break at the elbow or knee and the line tapers towards the feet.

Cally Jane, a freelance children's book illustrator has shown how cats can be represented with the simplest of shapes- especially in a sitting pose, where there's no need to even draw legs.





I like the variety in the shapes of the eyes of the cats in these Sara Pulver paintings and the simplicity of the designs.


No comments:

Post a Comment