Monday 12 October 2009

Maya toon shader tests

Just did a few experiments in Maya to get back into the flow of things.


Basic toon shaded helix with outline. Smoothed normals.



I modelled a quick baboon head to see how it would look on



Need to find out how to do two different colours on the same mesh without this happening. Also found out I need to keep my geometry tidy or the toon lines will mess up.


I'd like to find out how to create this jumpy line effect:



Unfortunately they didn't use Maya, so I'll have to try and replicate it somehow, if I can. I like the use of crosshatching for the shaded areas though, I know how to do that. I'll need to do a few more experiments, perhaps assigning a paint effects brush to the line to get it looking less computer generated and more organic. I've found lots of examples of character toon shading that I like the look of:
Joker
Scud The Disposable Assassin

And a whole website of examples:
Here

No comments:

Post a Comment